How to use this program:
The steel connection module is part of the STRAP package and cannot run as a stand-alone program.
Prior to designing the connections:
- define the model geomety and loads in STRAP; solve the model
- complete the design of the structural steel beams and columns in the STRAP Steel design module; a connection cannot be designed if the connected memebers have not been "Computed".
To start the connection design module:
- Steel design module: select File and Design connections.
- STRAP main menu: Utilities and Connection design.
Define general parameters:
Define the height axis and the axis of the main beams (girders). This is required by the program to identify the "supporting" member and the "supported" member at each connection:
Select Options and Directions to select the default axes for the model; to define the "supporting and supported members"
for individual connections select in the side menu.
Define the connnection default parameters:
click to define default parameters for all connections in the model
- in the tab, specify the default connection type for the three connnections configurations
- in the tab, specify the design code and steel, bolt and weld types.
click to define different parameters for specific connections in the model.
Design the connections and display the results:
- click in the side memu
- select the two connected members
- the program displays the connection and the design calculations
- click to display a rendered view of the connection.